What is computer?
A Computer is an electronic device. It is a programmable machine. This is digital machine that can accepts a data, stream of symbols, stores them, and processes them accordingly to set of instruction and pre defined rules.
Computers most important property is that its generality and a digitalism. It can follow a sequence of instructions, which is called a program that operates on given data.
A digital computer is basically an electronic device which can transmit and store the data and manipulate the information. Many different types of data can be processed by a computer. These are numerical, characters (words-name), graphics (drawings, charts, dots, lines, photographs) and sound (music, speech, etc.)
Use of Computer-
Computers are used in scientific calculation and research.
Computers are used in commercial and business fields for analyzing the situation of business atmosphere, like- cost analysis, market value of products, demand of product etc.
- Computers are used in space guidance.
- Computers are in controlling traffic, like- air traffic.
- Computers are used in real time data processing.
- Computers are used in educational fields for teaching to students, making students results, and getting good study material from internet.
- Computers are used in media for providing news.
- And computers are used in many others area- railway, transportation, information system...
Characteristics of computers-
The Basic characteristic of computers are-
- Automatic:- the computer is a automatic machines. Its means once a task is started on given instruction, its carry on until the task is completed.
- Speed: - The computer can work extremely fast. It takes only few second for completing the given task. A Computer can perform millions of instructions in single seconds.
- We determine the speed of computer in microseconds (10-6) means ten to the power minus 6, nanoseconds (10-9) means ten to power minus 9) and picoseconds (10-12) means ten to the power minus 12.
- A power full computer can perform 3 to 4 million simple arithmetic operation per second.
- Accuracy: - the computer produce highly accurate and reliable results. Mostly it gives cent percent accuracy.
- Versatility: - it means a computer is capable of performing a wide variety of functions, like-
- Computer can accept data and produce results.
- Computer can perform the fundamental arithmetic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Computer can perform logical operations.
- Computer can transfer data internally and externally both; means data can flow from one part to the other part of computer.
- Diligence: - A computer is capable of performing the same task over and over again with the same degree of accuracy and reliability as the first time. This is because computer is free from tiredness and lack of concentration, etc. it can work for hours without creating any error.
- Perfect Memory and Large storage: - A computer can store and recall any amount of information because of its in built memory and secondary storage capability.
- No I.Q:- A computer do not have own intelligence. It is a total dumb machine and it cannot do any work without instruction. These instructions determine by the user (human being).
- No Feelings: - Computer does not have any emotion, feelings, and knowledge, thus it never feel tired.